Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Rediscovering Me -- A Walking Cliche or Victim of Movie Makers?

So, tonight for date night, my husband and I went to see "Eat. Love. Pray." I know, I'm a lucky woman, and for the record, my husband noted that he was only one of two guys in the theater (let it be known that due to Tropical Storm Hermine there was probably only 14 people total).

As I watched the show, I related to the character and her plight for something more. To some extent her actual goals were different, but when we are ultimately looking to achieve or find the one thing we haven't yet, the obstacle course can appear the same.

So, I'll be honest, between this movie, "Julie and Julia" and say "Under the Tuscan Sun," I've been recently insighted to re-evaluate myself. In this movie, there's a lot to do with inner peace (and food!), in Julie and Julia I completely related to the lunch scene where all the friends sat around at their Cobb Salad lunch and went on and on about all their fantastic career accomplishments, and well, under the Tuscan Sun spoke to my underlying wish to just do whatever because I can! (Ha! If it were that easy!)

And then, I find myself thinking that my kids are getting older and I'm reaquainting myself with thoughts of career and change . .and well, . .something! I just can't seem to really pinpoint what that SOMETHING is!

As we drove home this evening, I told my husband that I felt like a walking cliche. I'm not young anymore and I'm reevaluating my life. Is it truly some sense inside me that yearns for more meaning to my life or is it simply an idea that movie makers have plunked inside my head? I mean, seriously. I think it could be either . . .

I've got a nice life that features a wonderful family, lots of fantastic friends, and a house that's big enough in a neighborhood that's comfortable, and a job that offers great coworkers and a decent paycheck. Bottom line, I don't really NEED anything more at this point and to strive to gain more might actually reduce the level of my happiness in all the above areas. So, what is it I'm looking for?

Unlike, most of these blogs, I suppose this one won't end with a statement or theme. I think this one will just end with a three-part question, "What is it that we all strivve for? How do we define success? and Is what you've got now something you're willing to sacrifice to reach that definition?

Feel free to share your parent perspective on this one. I invite and encourage your feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment