Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Date Night -- The Ingredient to Family Happiness

My husband and I will have been together for 20 years this year and married for 16 years. Both are celebrated on the same day, as I gave him exactly 4 years to decide if this 'thing' was going anywhere. Obviously it was and still is!

While the first few years were driven by physical attraction, hormones, lust and some similar interests, I attribute our later success to one very important ingredient -- date night! This became especially true in our years as parents. I think all parents come to appreciate this special occassion a little too late. As they say, "you don't know what you've got, until it's gone."

Now, I realize that date night for many brings up visions of large bills and empty pocketbooks. And, sometimes it can involve those items, BUT that doesn't HAVE to be the case.

The point really to date night is to reconnect with your significant other. So, while that can mean dinner, drinks and a show, it doesn't HAVE to. It also doesn't necessarily imply the prohibitive cost of a babysitter, which I admit can also take a toll on finances.

Before you decide to call the Doc and send me to the looney bin, let me explain. The simple act of being a little creative and pooling your resources can truly make an impact on your marital relationship.

Over the next few blogs (as I don't want you to break the blog 'no-no' of causing too much scrolling), I'll offer some personal insights/experiences/tips that allowed/allow my husband and I to connect and enjoy each other's company on a regular basis. And, with that small feat, I believe we've found a very important ingredient to the recipe for a happy family.

Stay tuned!

1 comment: