Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Family Time -- Doo You Walk Down Memory Lane with Your Kids?

When I was a kid, my "most favorite" cartoon was Scooby-Doo. Apparently my husband felt the same way about the show. Now, we proudly tell our kids "I have seen every Scooby-Doo movie or show ever made."

When we had our first child, we looked for movies we could buy or rent. What did we end up buying and recording like crazy? You guessed it, Scooby-Doo flicks.

One of my son's first scary shows was "Scooby Doo" the movie, featuring Scrappy Doo (who by the way annoyed the heck out of them too -- I always thought that was a bad phase in the series).

Well now, guess what? They've got a new Scooby-Doo show on Cartoon Network, "Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated." My kids couldn't wait to tell me about it as they know I'm just addicted to that crazy, mystery-solving, talking dog. What's not to love.

We found it on our DVR guide and set it to record every week. On an evening when we can all sit down together (no karate, gymnastics or date night) and enjoy some microwave popcorn, we pull it up and have a full 30-minutes of family fun.

I don't know what it is, but it's just so special to have the opportunity to share something you loved as a kid with YOUR kids. If you haven't seen this one yet, I encourage you to do so. It's got an interesting new slant to it -- a Mr. E that points the "meddling kids" in unexpected directions, a new type of relationship between Velma and Shaggy AND a mystery to solve about Mystery, Inc that has yet to be fully revealed.

Give it a shot. And while you're driving your kids down Memory Lane, you might also consider sharing some other old favorites of your days of "yore." We had a great time renting all the old Indiana Jones movies and also the 3-part Back To The Future saga. (After just having watched this with the kids, I loved that the Statesman published an article on upcoming fashion and saw Michael J Fox's vest look (you know, the one where the people in the past kept asking him why he was wearing a life preserver) is apparently coming back in style -- I kid you not!!!)

Doo-ing time with the kids is fun for everyone especially when it's Scooby Dooby Doo!!! ( . . ..and not Scrappy too.) Use that parent perspective to take a new look at an old concept and love every minute of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment